August 3, 2020

False alarm strands Guzman residents for hours

posted on: Sunday November 4, 2001

by, Felicia Grosso

Residents of Guzman Hall, were evacuated from their building for three hours Saturday morning when a student went on a destructive rampage, setting off the building’s fire alarm. According to John Dicerbo ’05, a resident of Guzman Hall who was awoken by the commotion, he opened the door of his room to find the hall “filled with smoke.” The RA on the floor was ordering everyone to “get out of the building,” shouting “It’s [the fire alarm] for real.” Once outside, Dicerbo claims to have seen the student responsible for the commotion. “The kid was walking down the hill by Guzman carrying the fire extinguisher and smiling,” Dicerbo stated. At that point, Providence College security guards grabbed the student and put him in the back of a security car.Chief Philip G. Reilly, Executive Director of Security, stated that the individual was “taken into custody until rescue came.” He was then “sent to the hospital” because he was in an “intoxicated state.” Reilly, however, could not provide more specific information about what drugs, if any, were involved.In addition to setting off the alarm, Reilly reported that there were “tables and chairs overturned in the common room [of Guzman].” He believes that the damage done to the common room was “probably [done by] the same individual.” Dicerbo elaborated on the damage done to the common room by explaining that the “pool table had been overturned,” and “one leg was split.” After the student was taken away, residents of the hall could not get back in the building for three hours. “Security guards said the building would be shut down,” states Steve Gruppioni ’05. “[I] went to McDermott to a friend’s to sleep,” he explained. Many of the disgruntled residents followed suit by finding various places to resume their night’s rest. “Many people went to Ray to sleep,” Dicerbo added.As of now, disciplinary measures have not been taken. The student has, however, been turned over to the College’s Disciplinary Office. The events resulted in a $300 charge to the College for the fire department’s involvement.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *