June 18, 2018

Field Hockey Shines Bright in 2016 Season

by Max Anderson ’18

The Providence College Field Hockey team has been looking incredible during the 2016 season. Last season, the team finished 4-14 and had a final mark of 2-3 in the Big East Conference. Things have taken a full 360 degree turn this year, as the team currently holds a 12-5 record heading into their final game against Old Dominion in Virginia.  With one game left to play, the Friars have already shattered last year’s win total by eight games, and are currently tied with Liberty University for second place in the Big East Conference, trailing only the University of Connecticut. Perhaps the best part for the Friars squad? They have already doubled their win total in the conference from last year, being two games above .500 at a 4-2 mark.

The team’s first win against a conference opponent came against Temple University back on Sept. 16, when the Friars won 3-2. The game, which was televised on Fox Sports GO, went into overtime, after the score was tied 2-2 at the end of regulation.  In the first half, the Friars went up early, getting two goals from Megan Hamilton ’18 and Natalie Mitchell ’19 within the first 32 minutes. However, Temple responded with two goals in the second half, sending the game into overtime, where Adrienne Houle ’17 scored the game winning goal for the Friars in minute 81. Goalie Megan Guilbert ’18 helped contribute to the Friars victory by saving 8 shots, and only allowing two goals through 81 minutes.

The team scored their second win in Big East play a week later, defeating Villanova at home by a final score of 3-1.  Houle once again fueled the Friars with her play, netting two goals in the contest; one in the 13th minute of play, and one in the 60th minute of the contest.  Hamilton also contributed another goal to the Friars stat sheet, as she scored in minute 67, shutting the door on a Villanova comeback, and handing the Friars their second win of the season.  Guilbert also padded her stats in the contest, adding another five saves to her resume.

The third win in conference play came when the Friars traveled to New Haven, Connecticut to take on the Quinnipiac University Bobcats. The game was hard fought by both teams, as the Friars used overtime to capture another victory, after the game was tied 1-1 at the end of regulation.  The first 35 minutes were scoreless, and neither team could muster a goal in the first half.  The Friars came out swinging in the second half, however, as Sylvia Miller ’20 scored in minute 38.  A Quinnipiac goal later in the half tied the game at one sending the game into overtime, where Hamilton once again scored for the Friars, and netted her first game-winning goal of the season.

The final win in the Big East Conference came against Georgetown on Oct. 14, where the Friars won 3-2 yet again in overtime.  While the Friars went scoreless in the first half, Floor Rozemeijer ’20 and Mikayla Michals ’20 both scored in the second half to help the Friars even the score at two.  In overtime, Miller once again stepped up for the Friars, scoring the game-winning goal, just two minutes into overtime, to give the Friars a 3-2 victory.

While the Friars certainly have momentum heading into the Big East Tournament, they will face some tough challenges ahead, especially against  the undefeated UConn Huskies.  However, with a much improved record, and a new look for this Friar team, it is safe to say the Friars are up for the challenge.

Sylvia Miller '20 brings up the ball for the Friars.

Sylvia Miller ’20 brings up the ball for the Friars.

Megan Guilbert '18 defends the goal for the Friars.

Megan Guilbert ’18 defends the goal for the Friars.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *