Friars Say Goodbye to Seniors

by thecowl.sports on May 4, 2017

Friar Sports

Photo Courtesy of Nicholas Crenshaw ’20/The Cowl

By: Eileen Flynn ’20

As classes are coming to an end, so is the season for spring sports. Providence College hosted both lacrosse and softball’s senior games this past weekend.

The softball team kicked the weekend off Saturday afternoon, welcoming the Creighton Blue Jays to their turf. In the third inning, Julianne Rurka ’18 drew a walk with the bases loaded, forcing the first player of the game to cross home plate. Finally, the Friars made some contact in the fifth inning. Nicole Lundstrom ’17 hit the ball over the fence, making the score 2-1. Megan McCune ’19 pitched the whole game and helped the Friars get the win.

As the sun got warmer, so did the Friars. Rurka got the bats going right away in the second game and drove in Brittney Veler ’18. Four runs later and the Friars were ahead 5-0, and it was only the bottom of the fourth. Creighton scored four but the Friars responded with six more runs in the bottom of the fifth, forcing the game to end early.

On Sunday the three seniors on the softball team were honored. Lundstroms, Nadia Kemp, and Taylor Huntly walked through the pathway their teammates made with bats, receiving flowers and cheers of appreciation from their coaches, family, and friends. The energy was high in the home dugout. Although Creighton got the first run, the Friars got the next five. Providence won 5-1, marking their first sweep of the season. The seniors and the rest of the team had their last home game May 2 against the Holy Cross Crusaders, which was a great win to end the season.

Around the same time as the bats were swinging on the softball field, the lacrosse team was warming up to face their Big East rival, the Villanova Wildcats. Before the first whistle blew, 11 seniors took the field. They were handed their senior gifts and had family join them on the field. Unfortunately, the positive energy didn’t transfer into the game for the Friars. The Wildcats had an aggressive forward performance and kept a strong lead for the entire game. Providence found themselves trying to dig themselves out of a five-goal hole early in the first half. The Friars were able to squeeze two passed the Villanova line of defense and hit the netting before the end of the first half. Unfortunately, with more goals for the Friars came more goals for the Wildcats. The Friars fell to Villanova with a final score of 15-7.

Although walking away with a victory, Villanova can’t feel too comfortable. Providence will get another chance in the semi-final round of the Big East tournament, where they will face the Wildcats yet again on their home turf. Although the seniors were showered with gifts and appreciation this past Saturday, they will be equally praised on May 4 where they will showcase their last efforts on their home field as Providence Cathletes.